Booking.com

Cortona

Cortona was an Etruscan town that today offers many important remains.


CortonaCortona was an Etruscan town that today offers many important remains: the outer walls, the bronze lamp from the 5th. century BC, the majestic tombs of noble families with the latest discovery, the Melone II of Sodo, dating back to the 7th. century BC.

The Etruscan town welcomes its visitors not only on behalf of the "Lucumoni" (the ancient Etruscan lords), but also on behalf of its popular patron saint, Saint Margaret of Cortona along with San Francis of Assisi who founded the hermitic monastery of "Le Celle"Cortona.

It was one of the most evolved medieval city-states, still profuse with pure renaissance forms; The Calcinaio church, Francesco di Georgio Martini's masterpiece.

Camucia : Tumulo di Camucia

The present perimeter is about 3 Km. And it coincides, for almost 2/3, with that one of the ancient Etruscan town-walls, on which the present walls are built.
The Etruscan remains can be distinguished from the overhanging walls which were built during the Middle Ages, because they are made of huge quadrangular rocks. On the hilltop of the cortonese's hill is the Medicean fortress required by the Medici family and built by Francesco Laparelli in 1549.
Cortona, hometown to so many famous painters from Luca Signorelli to Pietro Berrettini da Cortona to Gino Severini. And then the last little secret aboutCortona: some ancient historians suggested that Ulysses was buried here! It is only a legend, but what an extraordinary one!

Visit Cortona :
Cortona : Abbazia di FarnetaTown Hall, already in existence from 1236, altered and enlarged in the course of the centuries, surmounted by a crennelated tower furnished with a clock ; it overlooks the Piazza della Repubblica in front of the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo, also dating from 1200.
Palazzo Casali, erected by the Casali family in the XIII century (Lords of Cortona) and then becoming Seat of the Fiorentini Lords and Captains, houses in its interior the Museum of the Accademia Etrusca (1727), the Municipal Library and Historical Archives.
Palazzo Luparelli, among the most noteworthy buildings of Cortona, it has a formidable facade in three styles.
Visit cortona : Fortezza del GrifalcoMedicea Fortress, erected in 1556 on the ruins of an Etruscan wall and of a successive small fort in an exceptionally panoramic position desired by Cosimo I.
The Cathedral, constructed at the end of the 1400s encompassing the pre-existing parish church, internally it has three naves and preserves vdarious works of art. Opposite, in the venue of the ex church of Gesù is the Diocesan Museum in which are collected pieces by important artists and a Roman Sarcophagus of the II century, found near the Cathedral. Also worth a visit is the collection of goldsmith’s craft and vestments and church plate.
Basilica di S. Margherita, of present day form (1856) with Roman Gothic imitations, it was constructed to substitute a previous church of the XIII-XIV centuries. Other than the precious works of art preserved in its interior, on the altar there is a silver urn containing the body of Santa Margherita. 

S. Francesco, III century church of Gothic establishment, has been altered several times. 

S. Domenico, constructed in 1438, basilical interior with single nave.


Cortona: discover the surroundings

  • Castiglion Fiorentino Castiglion Fiorentino (10 km)
    The inhabited nucleus of Castiglion Fiorentino was developed in the Etruscan period and the Hellenistic period. After the Romans conquered the Arezzo territory they organized agricultural production in the form of villas.
    Read more
  • The Sentiero della Bonifica The Sentiero della Bonifica (14 km)
    Sentiero della Bonifica cycle and pedestrian path which joins Arezzo to Chiusi is about 62 km along Valdichiana equipped for those who wish to travel slowly, either by bike or on foot.
    Read more
  • Foiano della Chiana Foiano della Chiana (14 km)
    Evidence of Etruscan settlements of the VI-IV centuries BC testify to the ancient origins of Foiano and the nearby town of Pozzo della Chiana.
    Read more
  • Lucignano Lucignano (19 km)
    Lucignano is one of the most interesting centres in Tuscany because of its original castle on an elliptical plan, closed in by a wall with towers.
    Read more
  • Torrita di Siena Torrita di Siena (21 km)
    The first historical records referring to Torrita di Siena date back to the 11th century when the name appears in an Amiata legal code of the year 1037.
    Read more
  • The Valley of the Chiana The Valley of the Chiana (22 km)
    The Valley of the Chiana is the most vast of the Apennine valleys occupying more than 500 square kilometres of immaculately tended cultivation appearing as a garden from Cortona.
    Read more
  • Monte San Savino Monte San Savino (22 km)
    Monte San Savino is the birthplace of the great Renaissance sculptor Andrea Contucci called Il Sansovino and of Pope Julius III.
    Read more
  • Arezzo Arezzo (23 km)
    Arezzo is set on a steep hill rising from the floodplain of the Arno. In the upper part of the town are the cathedral, the town hall and the Medici Fortress (Fortezza Medicea).
    Read more
  • Travel Arezzo Travel Arezzo (23 km)
    A fascinating area that includes Arezzo, Cortona, Bucine, Castiglion Fibocchi and Castiglion Fiorentino.
    Read more
  • Montepulciano Montepulciano (26 km)
    The city of Montepulciano as very particular configuration: it is constructed along a geological ridge running down from the highest point.
    Read more
  • Chianciano Terme Chianciano Terme (27 km)
    There is the thermal Chianciano, with parks and avenues, hotels and shops, but it also exists the original core of the town, the so called paese.
    Read more
  • Trequanda Trequanda (28 km)
    The medieval village of Trequanda, crowned by the remnants of the ancient Cacciaconti castle, stands a hill 462 meters high sited between the Val di Chiana and the Val d' Asso.
    Read more
  • Valtiberina Valtiberina (30 km)
    The Tuscan Tiber valley ( Valtiberina) presents itself to the curious visitor as a huge mosaic of different environments, offering a rich multiplicity ofshapes, colours and perfumes.
    Read more
  • Sovara Valley Sovara Valley (30 km)
    The Sovara valley stretches along the stream of the same name which, after coming down the south-westerly side of the Alpe di Catenaia, runs alongside the group of hills known as Monti Rognosi.
    Read more
  • Anghiari Anghiari (30 km)
    Anghiari stunning medieval little town on sides of the hills between the Sovara and the valley of the Tiber.
    Read more
  • Rapolano Terme Rapolano Terme (31 km)
    In the Middle Ages the territory of Rapolano Terme was part of the properties of the Counts of the Scialenga who dominated over the main castle of the area.
    Read more
Booking.com